International associations greatly benefit the local community in the cities where they are based. They contribute significantly to the local economy and to employment by
- building capacity
- profiling the city, politically and image-wise
- creating opportunities for local and global talent
- promoting its key strengths and competitive clusters
- buying in a wide range of services
- organizing a large number of small and midsize meetings
An effective economic strategy for the Global Association Hubs partners is therefore to reinforce and expand our international association headquarters or regional office base.
- To grow the presence of international associations in the partner cities;
- To improve the partner cities’ capabilities to grow associations in our respective hubs;
- To differentiate GAHP partners by our ability to offer local market intelligence, ease of access to the regional markets, and added value services such as education;
- To act as a liaison between the international associations and local communities;
- To reduce barriers and facilitate the activities of international associations seeking to work across different cultures.
- To be recognized as an innovative partnership of global association hubs offering a unique value proposition to international associations which are expanding overseas;
- To be the Partnership of the cities which are recognized as THE key association hubs globally.
- To establish the partner cities as the natural base for international association offices and related meeting and event activities due to our quality of service, added value, effective operations, and association-friendly talent pool;
- To be recognized as the premier global association hubs offering world-class services in order to grow our partner cities as knowledge societies;
- To develop a value proposition and engage in common actions in favor of international associations for the benefit of members, leaders and staff personnel;
- To establish common minimum international standards related to the establishment and operations of associations, and to promote these standards through global educational programs;
- To facilitate the exchange of experience and sharing of best practice in activities provided by the partners in attracting international associations to our respective cities;
- To mutually support each other in partners’ respective activities to promote our cities to international associations.
The Global Association Hubs each have a strong identity, priorities and course of action in growing international associations’ activities in our respective cities. However, we share a common understanding and expertise in working with international associations, giving us a unique competitive advantage.
- According to the Union of International Associations (UIA), our hubs are the leading bases for association headquarters and regional offices in our respective regions of the world.
|Host cities for|
|UIA HQs |
|UIA meetings |
|ASSOCIATION SECRETARIATS IN GAHP REGIONS & CITIES|
|GROWTH IN HEADQUARTERS & REGIONAL OFFICES (%)||MARKET SHARE IN THE REGIONS (%)|
|REGIONS||Δ+ REGION 2016/2006||HUBS||Δ+ HUBS 2016/2006||2006||2011||2016|
|Asia (outside ME)||11,69||Singapore||45,70||5,88||7,60||7,67|
|North America||15,05||Washington, DC||17,69||11,34||11,35||11,60|
- We have established creative partnerships between local economic development agencies and convention bureaus, and have engaged in innovative teamwork with our local association partners, making us the natural gateways into our respective regions for international associations who expand internationally.
|Primary partners||Economic development agencies||Other official
|Brussels||visit.brussels||Brussels Invest & Export||Brussels Commissioner for Europe & IOs|
|Dubai||Dubai Association Centre||Dubai Chamber||Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing
Dubai World Trade Centre
|Singapore||Singapore Exhibition & Convention Bureau ™||Economic Development Board – IO Program Office|
|Washington||Destination DC||Events DC|
|DC Chamber of Commerce
Cultural Tourism DC
- We already each perform a wide range of specific services for international associations. (available upon request)